A VA loan is a mortgage loan guaranteed by the U.S. Department of Veteran Affairs (VA) that is available to American veterans, current military members serving in US military, reservists and surviving spouses (who have not re-married). It offers some great benefits to those that have served our country.
Benefits of VA Loans
- You can buy a home with no money down.
- You can refinance your home up to 100% of the value of your home.
- You never have to pay PMI (Private Mortgage Insurance).
- Sellers can pay your closing costs.
- They are usually easier to get because the Government insures the loan so that there is much less risk to the lender.
- If you already have a VA Loan you might be eligible for a VA Streamline Refinance.
- Disabled Veterans may qualify for a waiver of the Funding Fee if they receive any disability payments from the VA or if they are considered to be at least 10% disabled.
What is the VA Funding Fee and is it required?
Yes, it is required. It is a fee paid directly to the Department of Veteran’s Affairs so that they can guarantee your loan and provide you with the opportunity to receive a loan with little to no money out of pocket.
How much is the VA Funding Fee?
It depends on several factors including: Whether you are Active Duty, Retired, National Guard or Reserves and whether this is a first time use, subsequent use, or a cash-out refinance, as well as how much of a down payment you are putting down. The fee can range from as little as 1.25% up to 3.3% of the loan. Generally, the more money you put down the lower the VA funding fee. Please contact us and we will help you to determine the exact cost of the VA Funding Fee for your situation.
Do I have to pay the VA Funding Fee out of pocket?
No, you can include the VA Funding Fee in your loan and pay the funding fee over the course of your loan.
Do I still have to pay other normal closing costs like Appraisal, Title and Escrows?
Yes, however with a VA loan if you are purchasing a new home the seller can pay for all or part of your closing costs.
What is a VA Streamline Refinance?
A VA Streamline Refinance is a refinance option that is available if you already have a VA mortgage and you want to lower your interest rate with little or no out-of-pocket closing costs. You don’t have provide bank statements, W2s, job verification or paychecks.